BIRTHDAY BLUNDERS

Filed Under ( ) by whitaker imagery on Thursday, July 29, 2010

Posted at : 1:41 PM

I am not one to dread getting older.  In fact, most times I am just happy to have a day that is mine regardless of how many more gray hairs will appear in the next year.  So yesterday was my birthday. And yes, I love gifts.  Unfortunately, my DH has come up a little short in the gifting department in the past, but I could really tell that he was trying to make up for it this year.  And no I am not lying when tell you that when I turned thirty, he gave me a bicycle.  I mean really? I turned thirty, not thirteen. So let's get on with what he came up with this year....

My gifts actually started coming two nights before.  The first: a gift certificate to Cloud 9 restaurant complete with babysitting services from our fantastic friends, Bek and Lou.  The following evening, I got a surprise visit from a great friend (and a co-worker of DH) complete with a bottle of champagne, a carton of orange juice and a hilarious card about how I can't be old since I won't be leaving boob prints in my cake while blowing out candles.  Birthday morning started off with breakfast in bed (filet mignon, two eggs over-easy and toast) accompanied by piping hot coffee and a mimosa with another birthday card on the side.

Now, the cards I usually find for DH are a bit silly, cute and funny.  The ones he finds for me are usually a bit more heartfelt and pretty.  Like this.

So, I am finding the words he found in this card are so sweet and blessed that he thought he could apply them to me...until...I see he has slid another envelope inside the card.  The envelope holds a gift certificate for Margo to again work her magic and I am thrilled.  But. The. Envelope.  Now really, was that necessary?

Of course, I didn't take it to heart.  Did I really expect HIM to be all sappy and lovey dovey? No, I certainly know better.  He has the capability, but it just comes and goes so quickly that it seems he is more comfortable with his sarcastic self, which is totally okay too. Really though, I couldn't get mad when he explained how upset he was that I couldn't get my hair done ON my birthday 'cause Margo was on vacation and he knows I only let her touch my head. And I really couldn't be angry when he told me about he went the extra step he took; making me an appointment to have a pedicure ON my birthday.  Most of the time it is actually DH who does my pedicures, and while this one was pretty and I got out of the house alone for a bit, I had to admit that his are WAY better.  I mean, he takes the time to massage and soak and smooth the callouses and paint (yep paint) and this professional pedi was just nowhere near as enjoyable as his.

So it was an eventfully quiet morning that led into a nice, relaxing dinner out complete with fresh oysters and pan-seared scallops. But I most certainly could not end this post without sharing the freakin' adorable daisies my sister Karen left in three vases at my house.  Yeah her card was hilarious too as was Lauren's, which literally said Happy Birthday and all that crap.  It was the bestest simple birthday ever. There are some days when keeping it simple is the greatest feeling in the world.

1 comments:

Lee Weber said...

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh. NICE. HB girl!!oxo

Post a Comment