ONE MAN'S jUnK...

Filed Under (,, ) by whitaker imagery on Saturday, July 17, 2010

Posted at : 5:58 AM

It has taken a whole week since our vacation to feel somewhat back in the swing of things.  For the kids, they are still on vacation time, which made it a bit harder for my regular work routine to fall back into place.  I s'pose that means a bit more catching up here, but what's new.  And hey, instead of starting from the beginning, let's just begin this little blog at the end of vacation and work backwards from there.  Y'know.  Shake things up a bit.  Besides, I am way to excited not to share this little adventure first!

The weather was a bit hot and sticky as I loaded my "new" treasures into the car and called DH. Me: I just got this amazing bowl to stick a baby in, and you aren't going to believe what I paid for it! DH: Why.....would you stick a baby...in a bowl?  Me:  I'm a photographer, duh! Really, I was sure he wouldn't question that one, but at least I had Lee with me and the second she saw me eyeing it she totally saw what my thinker was considering. The amazing part was the second I lifted this extremely heavy, oversized and absolutely beautiful bowl, the vendor says $5 and it's yours. Sold! And yeah, I am so going to put babies in this thing.
This was just the beginning of an amazing "big girl day" that was proving to be exactly what Lee and I both needed, and she was definitely the perfect girl/friend/relative to spend the entire day with.  So, feeling all nostalgic and stuff I was really digging some cool vintage items. I had also been searching for things to give my office a bit more appeal; I needed inspiration.  My inspiration: just a couple vintage cameras to start a little collection for display in my office.  How cool are these?
Both cameras were produced by Kodak.  The Brownie on the left was first introduced in 1934 and was on the market until 1942.  Original price: $2.50. This box-style camera uses 620 film and produces 6x9cm images."No diaphragm on this simple camera. The aperture, which consists of two holes,  is selected by pulling a tab on top of the camera. Another tab to the right of the aperture tab is used to lock the shutter open for long exposures. The framing is done using one of the two reflex viewfinders." (http://vieilalbum.com/Six20BrownieJuniorUS.htm)  For the life of me I could not figure out how to open this thing...until I found a manual online.  Of course, I don't know any french, but with a little studying of the illustrations and a small amount of elbow grease, I opened it.  I was secretly wishing there was film in it.  There wasn't.  But still, this camera is very cool.

While the Instamatic is still vintage, it is a bit newer than the Brownie.  The Kodak Instamatic 404 was produced between 1965 and 1969. Using 126 film and producing 28x28mm images, shutter speeds of 1/40 and 1/60, and an f/8 41mm lens, this camera was original priced at $55.50.  I paid $3, and it came complete with it's original hard case!

Now, I had also been on the lookout for other props to use in sessions.  More specifically, I really wanted to find a scale I could put a baby on.  A vintage one.  Found it!  And with a bit of flea market haggling skills, I got it for nearly half of what the vendor was asking!!
A perfect day to wrap up an amazing vacation week.

2 comments:

Lee Weber said...

finding film would have been awesome!! You can find translators online- u might be able to cut and paste.

NAGG said...

my mom still has our scale from when we were born (1970's) it looks almost like that one but also has the tray that goes on top to actually hold the baby- i never thought of selling it for vintage photos like this... then again it is still sentimental - of course my sister DID just have her first baby - great idea for some family pics :D

Post a Comment