THEY TOTALLY GET IT

Filed Under () by whitaker imagery on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Posted at : 8:53 AM

This is a record breaking FOURTH time this family has made it to the blog, and I couldn't be happier.  I simply adore them. The first time I ever met Adam and Amanda was two years ago when I had the pleasure of shooting their wedding.  My first and theirs:)

Just one month later, I visited Amanda's parents' home and did a bit of an extended family session. And then another small family session took place just last fall. Not only is it incredible to watch this family grow and  to see my work improve, but the understanding this family has about the importance of family portraits is one that more families should have.  Sadly, there was no warning of the sudden loss of Amanda's brother not long after the large fall family session. But the fact that recent family portraits existed is just proof that scheduling regular family sessions is extremely important.  Whether we like it or not, life is too often too short.  So this year, just a day after the anniversary of Larry's passing, the whole family was loaded into the RV and beach bound for another extended family session. Oh, and there is one more thing that this family totally gets....kids will be kids, and having portraits captured does not necessarily mean your kids will sit still or smile or pose....that goes for the "big kids" too.
I think the hardest part about writing this blog was deciding which images to share.  Out of over 300 shots, I have only narrowed down to about 250!  Even the ones where C wasn't into the lens, I just love.

When I suggested to Amanda that we head to the beach she was thrilled at the idea.  Although when we got to the beach I was informed that the whole bunch of them really weren't "beach people."  The only time C had ever been to the ocean was when he was a baby, and this was a first for the three other kids.  Well, the beachiness certainly suited them well, and at least Amanda is looking forward to a few more beach days this summer.

P.S. If it's your baby's first time at the beach and he decides that sand-tasting is in order, that's totally okay too:)
This day was mostly about having a little (actually a lot) of fun.
But most importantly the day was about love and just being together.

If you have not had family portraits taken in six months to a year, I strongly recommend you schedule something TODAY.  No more excuses. Don't wait for blemishes to clear, weight to be lost or children to behave.  Portraits are about preserving a memory. A memory of now. Don't wait for the "perfect moment," make the perfect moment come to you. Find a photographer who meshes well with your family's personality.  If you have active kids, do not worry.  Personally, they are my favorite. Capturing kids being kids with little to no instruction on my part creates perfect memories and results in some beautiful portraits.

2 comments:

Lee Weber said...

sweet!

Alison Douglass said...

Oh the red hair!!! The kids are adorable and your words are right on my friend! Beautiful job!!

Post a Comment